Friday, April 18, 2008

Updating Frenzy

Today I found the Linux kernel 2.6.25 was released so I promptly downloaded the source and compiled me a fresh kernel. So since I was already updating my kernel and had to recompile the NVidia Driver to have X working, I also decided to update to the latest NVidia Driver. At that point I was taken by an update frenzy and downloaded the latest GSlacky and had my gnome desktop updated. So now I have a nice updated system running, here's an overview of the new version numbers I'm running.

* Kernel went to 2.6.25
* NVidia driver went to 169.12
* Gnome was updated to 2.22

All updates went quiet smoothly expect the NVidia driver because of the newly kernel which lead to an error during the kernel module compilation. But this was solved by applying a patch to the NVidia installation package. I found the patch in a forum by doing some googeling.

So now I'm waiting for the new Gnome release to use the evolution mail client to access my work's mailbox since our mail is managed by M$ Exchange 2007. And currently evolution only supports till Exchange 2003.

No comments: