Friday, May 23, 2008

Installing Apache Tomcat 5.5.x on Windows 2003 x64

I had to install Apache Tomcat 5.5.26 on a Windows 2003 x64 Server. Installation went without any error signaled by the setup programs. Until I tried to statr the tomcat Service, it Just refused to start, and in Tomcat's logfiles I found this:

[2008-05-23 11:23:45] [402  prunsrv.c] [error]
The system cannot find the file specified.
[2008-05-23 11:23:45] [1246 prunsrv.c] [error]
Load configuration failed

Googling around I came across this article giving me the solution to the problem, eventhough the article talks about recompiling the "tomcat5.exe" program on the host. This because the Tomcat package contains a 32bit version of these programs wich ahve trouble to run on a 64bit system. Since I didn't had compiling tools available on the system I googled around a bit more and found a 64bit compiled version of this file in Apache's SVN server here the 2 executables found there are from the Tomcat 6.x series and are thus named tomcat6.exe & tomcat6w.exe
So I renamed the tomcat6.exe & tomcat6w.exe to tomcat5.exe & tomcat5w.exe , then placed them in the "/bin" folder of my Tomcat installation.

Afterwards I tried to restart the service and all came up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thx, you made my day.